Thursday, April 10, 2014

In Christ - I am the salt of the earth and the light of the world

I am the salt of the earth and the light of the world...

Matthew 5:13-16 You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled by men.  You are the light of the world. A city on a hill cannot be hidden.  Nor do they light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a lampstand, and it gives light to all who are in the house.  Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional
September 15, 2010


“Last night, I telephoned the family farm back in Maryland to see how my sister Jay was doing. She was up to her elbows in pickles! Cucumbers are ripe off the vine from Jay's garden so she's spending her evenings boiling and blanching, straining and sealing. I love my sister's pickles, and I think her secret is... salt. She adds a lot of salt and tells me that it's the best way to preserve a pickle at its crunchiest, tastiest best.

“Those words go well together - salt and preserve. As Christians, we act as a salty preservative in this world, infusing godly values into a life around us. We have the work of restraining evil and advancing good. And just as salt brings out flavor in food, we can "season to taste" our words when the world asks us for the reason for the hope that is within us.

"’Let your conversation be always full of grace, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone’ (Colossians 4:6).

“Preserving good in the world. Flavoring your words with the Gospel. These are big responsibilities. And remember that God did not say that you should be the salt of the earth, but that you are. So don't lose your saltiness, whatever you do today. Lord of the Harvest, You have chosen me for a special task in this world. Thank You for the privilege of being salt in order to make people around me thirsty for You. Show me today how I can preserve all that is good around me and how I can flavor my conversation to make people long for You and look for You.

Taken from Diamonds in the Dust. Copyright © 1993 by Joni Eareckson Tada.


God chooses His words carefully – SHOULD vs ARE – it makes a big difference knowing that He has ALREADY declared us to BE “the salt of the earth.”  The more time I spend in the Word the more I see how important it is to understand who we are “in Him” – to see those careful selections of words and phrases – and to see how the saints of old put those truths into practice in their lives.  It’s a challenge, certainly, to walk 100% in that truth – but it’s important that we try – for our sake AND for the sake of the Kingdom of God.  Are you living as salt in your corner of the world?  Are you a preservative in your realm of influence?  Are you bringing the light of the Gospel into the darkness around you?  I hope so!  It’s not easy – but it’s immensely rewarding to know that lives are being saved and changed!  You may not see the evidence of your influence right away – but God won’t waste anything you do in His name and in His strength – so keep being the salt – and the light – of the world! 

No comments:

Post a Comment