Wednesday, May 30, 2012

In Christ - I am the Bride of Christ

I am the Bride of Christ...

Jeremiah  3:14-15"Return, O backsliding children," says the LORD; "for I am married to you. I will take you, one from a city and two from a family, and I will bring you to Zion. And I will give you shepherds according to My heart, who will feed you with knowledge and understanding.” 

Revelation 19:7-9 Let us be glad and rejoice and give Him glory, for the marriage of the Lamb has come, and His wife has made herself ready." And to her it was granted to be arrayed in fine linen, clean and bright, for the fine linen is the righteous acts of the saints. Then he said to me, "Write: 'Blessed are those who are called to the marriage supper of the Lamb!' " 

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional
June 14, 2010

Show me your face, let me hear your voice; for your voice is sweet, and your face is lovely.  Song of Songs 2:14

“These are words of a God in love. God thinks my soul is beautiful when I praise Him! It makes me want to praise Him in word and with singing all the more. "Rejoice in the LORD, O you righteous! For praise from the upright is beautiful... Praise the LORD! For it is good to sing praises to our God; For it is pleasant, and praise is beautiful" (Ps. 33:1; 147:1 NKJ).

“Little wonder I can hardly wait to see His face. Like any bride-in-waiting, I find it hard to rest comfortably in a relationship when I cannot see the face of the one I adore. When it comes to brides and bridegrooms, full intimacy comes between a man and woman face-to-face. And when the Bible speaks of longing for God, it speaks in terms of wanting to see His face. The psalmist pleads with God, "Make your face shine upon us" (Ps. 80:3) and "Do not hide your face from me" (Ps. 27:9). Ultimately, "In righteousness I will see your face; when I awake, I will be satisfied with seeing your likeness" (Ps. 17:15). To hold the gaze of God is to find love, acceptance, and satisfaction.

“Our longing to see the face of God is a longing, whether we know it or not, to see our sins exposed and to be cleansed. This is what brides-in-waiting do: "His bride has made herself ready. Fine linen, bright and clean, was given her to wear" (Fine linen stands for the righteous acts of the saints.)" (Rev. 19:7-8). Your wedding gift to your Savior is your earthly obedience, the evidence of your love. Dressed in righteousness, you will see the face of God! Make your praise beautiful today -- He thinks it's lovely!”

I was a bride once.  Over 30 years ago I stood at the altar with the man I loved and pledged to be his wife until death.  Sadly I didn’t keep my promise, and just two years later I was in a divorce court facing a judge saying that I could no longer stay married to this man – this man who had once been the love of my life.  I came to regret that decision – and offered this man a reconciliation (although I have to admit that my heart wasn’t in it – it was purely a step of faith and obedience).  He wanted nothing to do with me – and who could blame him?

During the two years of wondering WAY off God’s path my heavenly wedding clothes were ruined – they were filthy and I felt absolutely no hope of ever getting them clean again.  For awhile I gave up – and believed the lie of the enemy that it was too late for me, so why not just continue wallowing in the mud? 

Off and on I heard the Savior’s call – He hadn’t walked away from me – He was still calling my name, seeking me out.  When I finally stopped long enough to listen I realized that HE was offering ME a reconciliation!  I COULD be clean again!  I COULD start over!  All He was asking me to do was get out of the muck and mire and start walking towards Him.  I’m ETERNALLY glad that I listened!  With each step towards Jesus, my heavenly wedding clothes became whiter and whiter!  I know that there are still some stains here and there – but I also know that Jesus doesn’t see them!  He sees me as His beautiful, radiant Bride – the love of His life!  As long as I keep my eyes on Him I know I’m going to be OK – MORE than OK!  Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment