Thursday, May 30, 2013

In Christ - I am set free

I am set free...

John 8:31,32  To the Jews who had believed Him, Jesus said, "If you hold to My teaching, you are really My disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."
Psalms 119:32 I run in the path of Your commands, for You have set my heart free. 

Galatians 5:13  You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.
In Touch Ministries/Charles Stanley
April 2
 
Life’s Great Liberator
Luke 4:16-21

"From some people’s countenance, we judge them to be happy. Smiles, makeup, and stylish clothing can create an appearance of inner peace. Internally, though, many are in bondage.
In today’s passage, Jesus clarifies His purpose: He has come to set free those in captivity. Christ was referring to several types of bonds that can imprison our souls.
 
"First, Jesus breaks the chains of sin. All people have broken God’s law and consequently live apart from Him (Rom. 3:23). But Christ’s death and resurrection free us when we accept His gift of forgiveness and place our trust in Him. Then we can have a relationship with the Lord.
Secondly, He liberates us from persistent sins like jealousy, bitterness, and gluttony. His Spirit resides within each believer and provides the power to overcome wrong choices that seemed to “own” us. He enables us to do what He desires—by bringing immediate healing or by giving guidance and strength in the ongoing battle.
 
"The Creator of mankind made us with a void in our hearts for Jesus to fill. Everything we put there—whether it seems like a good thing at the time or an obvious bad choice—will ultimately leave us empty. And we will remain in bondage until God frees us and then provides the only true satisfaction.
 
"Are you one of those people who appear happy and seem to have life figured out, and yet inside feel uneasy and empty? Jesus Christ is the only One who can redeem you, forgive your sins, and fill the vacant place in your soul. Allow Him to liberate you today."
 
It's a good idea to take stock of our lives on a regular basis to make sure we haven't slipped back into the bondage from which Jesus has redeemed us.  Slipping is so easy to do - especially if we're not carefully watching our footing!  I've always been known to be the one who's going to find the hole to trip in - the rock to trip over - or the crack to trip on.  It's kind of a running joke - "send Sharon out ahead - she'll find the potholes!"  That's funny - kind of - until I do find that hole!  What's NOT so funny is when I find myself in a spiritual hole or flat on my face because I've slipped up somewhere in my walk with Christ.  Fortunately it doesn't happen as often as it used to - but I'm not immune to falling - and I have to be just as vigilant as any other saint to be sure my feet are firmly planted in the Word of God and that I'm walking as far away from the "line in the sand" as I can get.  SO - I encourage you - take a look at your life and see where you're standing - or where you've fallen - and if you've slipped back into bondage, turn to Jesus for rescue!  He'll never let you go!  Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment