Thursday, May 2, 2013

In Christ - I am saved

I am saved...
I Thessalonians 5:9 For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Titus 3:4,5 But when the kindness and the love of God our Savior toward man appeared, not by works of righteousness which we have done, but because of His mercy He saved us through the washing of rebirth and renewal by the Holy Spirit...

Hebrews 7:25 Therefore He is able to save completely those who come to God through Him, because He always lives to intercede for them.
 
Joni and Friends Daily Devotional
November 21, 2011

Sweeter Than the Day Before
 
Salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed. --Romans 13:11
 
"It's true. My salvation is so much dearer, sweeter and nearer to me than when I first believed as a teenager. I appreciated what Jesus had done when I was new in the faith, but I never considered Him... precious. Only old hymn writers spoke of Him as precious! Now I am old. And Jesus is my true Friend, my Fortress when I am frightened, my Beloved when I give Him praise, my Righteousness when I have sinned, the Shepherd who seeks me when I've gone astray.

"How did Jesus become so precious to me? I look at it this way: today is the first day of the rest of my salvation! The Christian idea of salvation involves the past, present, and future. Ephesians 2:8 says 'By grace you have been saved through faith.' First Corinthians 1:18 explains that 'the Gospel is the power of God to us who are being saved.' Romans 13:11 says 'Salvation is nearer to us now than when we first believed.' We have been saved. We are being saved. And we will be saved. At every stage we are saved by the death of Christ. In the past, our sins were paid for by Christ on the cross. In the present, the death of Jesus secures the power of God's Spirit to save us from the domination of sin. And in the future, it will be the blood of Christ that saves us from the wrath of God and ushers us in to perfection and joy eternal.

"As the old Gospel song goes, 'Every day with Jesus is sweeter than the day before!' Grasp the sweetness of all that the death of Christ purchased for you in the past, present, and future. Today, get actively engaged in your present salvation, and praise the Lord that you will be saved from the wrath to come.

"Precious Jesus, I humbly bow before you, thanking you for all that your death on the cross purchased for me -- I want to honor you by obeying you today."

Are you rejoicing in your salvation today?  If not, take a few minutes to thank Jesus for what He did to save us - remember the price He paid - and purpose in your heart to live a life of obedience as an outward sign of the inward change that has taken place.  You are SAVED from God's wrath!  COMPLETELY saved - not partially saved - but He has done a complete work and is continuing that work of salvation even now!  Hallelujah!

2 comments:

  1. We are in agreement that salvation is a free gift from God, received in faith by the sinner, creating belief and repentance. What I am asking you to consider is the PURPOSE of Christian baptism. Is the purpose of baptism really only as an act of obedience/public profession of faith? If so, why doesn't the Bible, in clear language, state as such?

    Why is the term "born again" used only three times in the KJV Bible but the word "baptism" or one of it's variants (to baptize) is used over 100 times in the NT? Why are there so many passages of Scripture that if read in their simple, plain, literal interpretation state that God forgives/washes away sins in baptism? Did God really have that much difficulty explaining the exact purpose of baptism? Did God allow every translator of the Bible into every language on earth to mistranslate Acts 2: 38 and other baptism passages? If baptism is simply the after-thought that most evangelicals make it out to be, why did Jesus, his disciples, the Apostles Paul and Peter make such a big deal about it?

    Is baptism really a work of man as Baptists and evangelicals claim...or is baptism a work of God?

    Lastly, there is no historical evidence found anywhere on planet earth, including areas never under the control of the Catholic Church or the Roman Empire, in which ANY Christian in the first approximately 800 years of Christianity believed that baptism is simply and only an act of OUR obedience/OUR public profession of faith. All evidence from this time period points to early Christians, from the very disciples of the Apostles such as Polycarp onward, believed that baptism means much, much more.

    I encourage you to ask the Holy Spirit to open your heart to the Truth of the Gospel and re-read the Bible without your denominational biases.

    God bless!

    Gary

    http://www.LutherWasNotBornAgain.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can you really trust your English Bible to be God’s true Word?

    Have you ever had an evangelical or Reformed Christian say this to you:

    “THAT passage of the Bible, in the original Greek, does NOT mean what the simple, plain reading of the passage seems to say in English.”

    It happens to me all the time in my conversations with Baptists, evangelicals, and fundamentalists on my blog. They state: “Repent and be baptized…for the forgiveness of sins” was mistranslated. “This is my body…this is my blood” is a metaphorical expression, “Baptism does now save us” is figurative speech for what happens to us spiritually when we ask Christ into our hearts.

    What they are basically saying is that unless you speak ancient Hebrew, Aramaic, and Greek…you can’t read and really understand the Bible without the help of an educated Churchman!

    This morning I came across an excellent article on this subject, written by Jordan Cooper, a Lutheran pastor. I am going to give the link to his article below. I have copied a couple of his statements here:

    “So here is a question that we all need to ask ourselves when doing this (refusing to accept the simple, plain, English translation of a passage of Scripture): If a verse seems to disprove your theological beliefs, and you translate it in some way that doesn’t fit with any of the dozens of major English translations of the Bible, and that unique translation just happens to fit your own theological biases, could it be that it is in fact you who are in the wrong? Could you be reading your own preconceived theological convictions back into the text?”

    ” I know it can be frustrating when you are constantly told that Scripture can’t be understood unless you learn (an ancient) language or read ancient documents that you don’t have either the time or the energy to study. Honestly, if you have a few good English translations at your side, and you take the time to compare them to one another, you have all the tools you need to understand the meaning of the Bible.

    Link to Pastor Cooper’s original article:

    http://justandsinner.blogspot.com/2013/08/the-wrong-use-of-biblical-languages.html

    ReplyDelete