Thursday, July 25, 2013

In Christ - I am free from condemnation


I am free from condemnation...

Romans 8:1  Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus... 

Colossians 1:21,22 And you, who once were alienated and enemies in your mind by wicked works, yet now He has reconciled you by Christ's physical body through death to present you holy in His sight, without blemish and free from accusation—

New Life Daily Devotion – Steve Arterburn – November 2, 2010

No Condemnation

“We may be punishing ourselves. We certainly feel like we deserve it! We don't just feel guilty; we feel like this last fall proves that we're rotten to the core. Our feelings of self-condemnation may go beyond guilt for the wrong behavior, convincing us of our worthlessness. It seems futile to keep trying.

“The apostle Paul talked about how frustrating it can be to fall back into the very things we hate (see Romans 7). But then he concludes, ‘So now there is no condemnation for those who belong to Christ Jesus. And because you belong to Him, the power of the life-giving Spirit has freed you from the power of sin that leads to death’ (Romans 8:1-2).

“Our feelings of condemnation come from ourselves and Satan, not from God. The Bible calls Satan "the accuser." Looking to a future day, it says, "It has come at last—salvation and power and the Kingdom of our God, and the authority of his Christ. For the accuser of our brothers and sisters has been thrown down to earth—the one who accuses them before our God day and night’ (Revelation 12:10).

“God will convict us of the wrong of our behavior, so we can confess it and receive cleansing forgiveness. Remember, ‘If we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness’ (1 John 1:9). Let's not give in to the condemnation. We're not hopeless and worthless! We just fell. God wants to dust us off and set us back on the path to a better life.

“God never condemns those who look to Him for forgiveness, even after the greatest of failures.”

That is good news, indeed!  I know what it’s like to live with the weight of failure – it’s not fun, is it?  It took me time – and effort – and discipline – but I no longer feel about myself the way I did when I first re-committed my life to Christ after wallowing in the gutter for almost two years.  I no longer carry that weight of shame and guilt – they’re GONE – for GOOD!  There ARE days and times when I look back with sadness – but I can also see the grace and mercy of God in my life, and I’m not overcome or overwhelmed!  I can look back into my past and admit the ugly facts – I’m a SINNER saved by GRACE!  Don’t let the enemy rob you of the joy God has promised by rubbing your nose in your past failures.  Pick yourself up and keep walking the path of righteousness!  And remember – Satan has lost the final battle – he’s a loser and a liar, so don’t give him a nano-second of your time! 

No comments:

Post a Comment