Thursday, June 27, 2013

In Christ - I am in Christ Jesus

I am in Christ Jesus...

I Corinthians 1:30 It is because of Him that you are in Christ Jesus, Who has become for us wisdom from God--that is, our righteousness, holiness and redemption. 

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional
May 6, 20


Set your minds on things above, not on earthly things. For you died, and your life is now hidden with Christ in God. When Christ, who is your life, appears, then you also will appear with him in glory.   Colossians 3:2-4

“When I was in Russia, my husband Ken purchased one of those wooden hand-painted peasant dolls that twist open at the middle to reveal another doll inside. You take the smaller doll out, open it, and another, even smaller one is inside. Open that one, and you discover a tinier doll! The fun is in discovering all that's hidden inside of each doll.

“To me, it was an excellent picture of being hidden with Christ in God. We are in Him and He is hidden in the Father. The fun is in discovering all that this means. As the verse says, we have died and our true life lies in the other world, the spiritual world. The perfection of all that we shall one day be is reserved for us in heaven. It is hidden with Christ -- not only from us (like a secret) but for us (like a safety deposit box). At the present time, even Christ is hidden - but we take comfort that even though we cannot see Him, our life is hidden with Him and laid up safely with Him. In the same way, we can rest, knowing that although our ultimate happiness is presently out of sight, it is nevertheless reserved in heaven for us.

 
“What a picture of safety and protection. Nothing can touch us, nothing can harm us for we are hidden in Christ, and He is hidden in the Father. And one day, when Christ is revealed, when He appears, then who we are - our true identity - will no longer be concealed.

“As we follow the advice of Colossians 3:2 and set our minds on things above, we enjoy discovering ‘what's inside.’ Today, ponder what you might be like, sound like, act like when you appear with Him in glory. As you muse on things above, what is hidden becomes clear.


“Lord, I want to understand this mystery and so I set my heart and mind on things above where You are seated at the right hand of the Father - one day I will actually ‘be’ the person You've intended me to be all along. Thank you for hiding me in Your heart.”

Blessings,

Joni and Friends
www.joniandfriends.org

I have several sets of these dolls – matryoshkas – and they’re really pretty cool!  Over the years I’ve bought many sets of them – some very simple – some very detailed – and I’ve seen sets with as many as 20 dolls and as few as 3.  Each doll is handmade and unique – even those done by the same artist are different from one set to the next.  Within a set of dolls each doll is different – and many tell a story of some sort.  As Joni shared, our relationship with the Lord is reminiscent of these dolls – what we see on the outside – the largest doll – is not what’s inside.  Each layer is handled by the Master Craftsman – each doll tells its own story – and it’s not until all of our “flesh” is carved away will we see the truth of who we are on the inside.   Sadly, I often see too much of who I am on the inside – because my flesh hasn’t been completely removed yet, I know what I’m capable of – but God sees the finished product – He sees the little doll just waiting to be revealed.  He knows my story from beginning to end and is painstakingly creating His masterpiece in my life.  I’ve never been one to enjoy the process – I want to jump right to the end result – but that’s not how He works.  He’s slow – careful – meticulous – and won’t stop until He’s finished.  All I have to do is cooperate with Him and trust that He knows what He’s doing!  I’m not that littlest doll yet – but I’m on my way – and so are you!  Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment