Thursday, February 14, 2013

In Christ - I am loved by God

I am loved by God...

Jeremiah 31:3  The LORD appeared to us in the past, saying: "I have loved you with an everlasting love; I have drawn you with loving-kindness." 

Romans 8:38,39 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord. 

Ephesians 3:17-19 And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love, may have power, together with all the saints, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ, and to know this love that surpasses knowledge--that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God. 

I John 4:16-19 And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in him. In this way, love is made complete among us so that we will have confidence on the day of judgment, because in this world we are like Him. There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love.  We love because He first loved us.

Joni and Friends Daily Devotional   February 13, 2013

Love Displayed

"Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? Shall trouble or hardship or persecution or famine or nakedness or danger or sword?... No, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him who loved us. For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord."       Romans 8:35-39

"’This is a verse I'm supposed to believe,’ we sigh, full of doubts. It sounds more like theological doctrine than practical reality, especially when we are the ones facing trouble, hardship, danger or the sword. But the apostle - who, incidentally, suffered a lot more than persecution or famine - wrote this sweeping statement specifically for those who would doubt the love of God in the midst of hardships.

“Look at the last ten words, ‘The love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.’ If ever we are tempted to doubt God's good intentions, if ever He seems to be an uncaring deity sequestered in an ivory tower untouched by pain, we must remember the love of God that is in Christ. Christ who bore the weight of sin, the sting of spit, the bite of the whip, the accusations of ignorance, and the sufferings of the world. This is love poured out like wine as strong as fire. This is love never to be doubted or betrayed.

“Thomas Merton said, ‘In order to suffer without dwelling on our own affliction, we must think about a greater affliction and turn to the cross.’ If you are questioning the love of God because of a disappointment or trial, turn your eyes upon Jesus. He is the love of the Father in the flesh displayed. When Jesus hung on the cross, God was saying, ‘I love you;’ and nothing can separate you from that.     

“If I'm tempted to doubt your love today, Lord, place before me the cross.”

Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island (New York: Harcourt, Brace and Co., 1955), 94.

How awesome it is that this day’s devotional is about the love of God – when “love” is in the air and all around us!  I know that Valentine’s Day can be a really hard day for single women – a REALLY hard day.  It’s like the enemy works overtime rubbing our faces in our singleness.  I learned LONG ago that I could either let it get me down – or I could embrace my singleness as the gift that it is, and glory in the amazing love of my Jesus! There is no lover that can compare with Him!  He never gets “fed up” – He never tires of showing me how much He loves me – He never throws my past failures in my face – He has promised to NEVER leave me or forsake me!  No one else will ever love me – or you – like that!  It’s doubtful – HIGHLY doubtful – that anyone else would be willing to take the brutal punishment my sin deserves to prove how much he loves me!  How can I resist a love like that?  How can you?  How can I betray a love like that?  How can you?  If you’re single I hope you will spend some time thinking about how VERY much you are loved!  If you’re married – or in a relationship – enjoy that love – but never let it be a substitute for your First Love!  Sharon

No comments:

Post a Comment