Thursday, April 26, 2012

In Christ - I am a partaker of His divine image

I am a partaker of His divine nature...

II Peter 1:4 Through these He has given us His very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires.


Joni and Friends Daily Devotional

November 18, 2011

A thief is only there to steal and kill and destroy. I came so they can have real and eternal life, more and better life than they ever dreamed of. --John 10:10, The Message

“Have you ever wondered why Jesus launched His public ministry by turning water into wine at a wedding party? I once heard my friend, Bible teacher Kay Arthur, describe this miracle as one of highest quality and quantity. "That," she exclaimed, "is the way Jesus does things."

“Those six stone jars Jesus told the servants to fill with water were huge, each containing thirty gallons. And those servants filled each jar to the brim. Surely one-or possibly two-of those containers would have been plenty. But Jesus did six. And quality? This wasn't the plain label stuff they sell in a jug. The wine Jesus made was Gold Medallion-probably ten grades above the best French vintage. The master of the banquet was astounded after he tasted the wine that only moments before had been common well water. "You've saved the best for last!" That's what Jesus chose to do. He gave much better than anyone expected.

“Quality. Quantity. Not either-or, but both-and. That's what He wants to do in your life: "I have come that you may have life, and have it to the full." The life He is talking about, of course, is His very own life, flowing in and through you. This is life that spills over the brim. As the apostle says, you are a participator in the divine nature. You can't get any better than that!

“The key to this life is in the counsel the Lord's mother gave to the servants that day. Mary said, "Do whatever He tells you." Follow that advice, my friend, and be prepared for His abundant life-lavish with quantity and radiant with quality.

“Great God of grace, You didn't have to fill my life to overflowing... and yet You did. You didn't have to share Your character, Your strength, and Your joy with me... and yet You have.”

In our day-to-day life it’s really difficult to believe that we “partake in His divine nature,” isn’t it?  We live with ourselves 24/7 – we know our thoughts – our internal struggles – our motivation – the yearnings and urgings of our flesh.  But it’s still true.  Because we have been placed “in Him” at salvation, His divine nature is now ours.  It is our eternal destiny to be perfect – as He is perfect – and in heaven we WILL be truly like Him.  But here on earth we have to choose to BE a partaker in the everyday circumstances of our lives.  We can either reflect Him – or reflect our flesh.  We can either show the world our Savior – or not.  We can choose to die to self – or live to self.  The power to do the right thing is available to us – “in Him” we CAN reflect His divine nature – but it’s a conscious choice to escape the corruption of this world.  There are days when I walk through the muck and mire of life, and by the end of the day I feel anything BUT “divine” – and the enemy would love to have me wallow in the mud I’ve tracked into my heart.  I’ve learned that I don’t have to give in to his attempt to drown me in my own failings, and I CHOOSE to declare to him – in the power of the Spirit – that I AM the righteousness of Christ – not because of anything in me – but because of the grace and mercy of our Lord!

No comments:

Post a Comment