Thursday, February 2, 2012

In Christ - I am set free!

I am set free...

John 8:31,32  To the Jews who had believed Him, Jesus said, "If you hold to My teaching, you are really My disciples. Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Psalms 119:32 I run in the path of Your commands, for You have set my heart free. 

Galatians 5:13  You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.

February 8, 2010

Think It Over

by Charles R. Swindoll

“A bazaar was held in a village in northern India. Everyone brought his wares to trade and sell. One old farmer brought in a whole covey of quail. He had tied a string around one leg of each bird. The other ends of all the strings were tied to a ring which fit loosely over a central stick. He had taught the quail to walk dolefully in a circle, around and around, like mules at a sugarcane mill. Nobody seemed interested in buying the birds until a devout Brahman came along. He believed in the Hindu idea of respect for all life, so his heart of compassion went out to those poor little creatures walking in their monotonous circles.

“’I want to buy them all,’ he told the merchant, who was elated. After receiving the money, he was surprised to hear the buyer say, ‘Now, I want you to set them all free.’

“’What’s that, sir?’

“’You heard me. Cut the strings from their legs and turn them loose. Set them all free!’

“With a shrug, the old farmer bent down and snipped the strings off the quail. They were freed at last. What happened? The birds simply continued marching around and around in a circle. Finally, the man had to shoo them off. But even when they landed some distance away, they resumed their predictable march. Free, unfettered, released . . . yet they kept going around in circles as if still tied.

“Until you give yourself permission to be the unique person God made you to be . . . and to do the unpredictable things grace allows you to do . . . you will be like that covey of quail, marching around in vicious circles of fear, timidity, and boredom.”

Excerpted from Day by Day with Charles Swindoll, Copyright © 2000 by Charles R. Swindoll, Inc. (Thomas Nelson Publishers). All rights reserved worldwide. Used by permission.

WOW!  I totally relate to those birds!  There have been many times in my life when I’ve wandered in the same circles – making the rut deeper and deeper – and God was there all along telling me I was (and AM!) free!  It wasn’t until I got a huge “wake up call” from God that I understood that I had a CHOICE.  I could CHOOSE to keep walking in circles – going nowhere – or I could CHOOSE to take a step away and start walking like I was as free as He said I was (AM!).  It was scary at first – but eventually I found that walking straight ahead – following God’s path for my life – was MUCH more interesting than the rut I’d been in – and a lot more FUN!  Not that it was easy – there were times when I got tired and the rut seemed SO much easier – but I’d tasted freedom too much to want to go back to that bondage. How about you?  Are you ready to get out of your rut and get on the path God has laid out before you?  I hope so!

No comments:

Post a Comment