Tuesday, September 20, 2011

In Christ - I am able to sleep without fear

I am able to sleep without fear...

Psalms 3:5 I lie down and sleep; I wake again, because the LORD sustains me. 

Psalms 4:8 I will lie down and sleep in peace, for You alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. 

From Daily Guideposts, 2009, June 18 –

“I flicked on my flashlight and looked at the clock; it was only midnight.  I plumped my pillow.  My mind was spinning out of control with ‘what ifs.’ Earlier that day my mare had given birth to Wind Dancer, a gangly-legged, floppy-eared red mule – my dream mule.  The owners of the guest ranch where I worked had let me electric-fence a separate pasture away from their huge herd.  It was the safest – and only – option available.  But I knew the dangers of newborn colts and electric fences.

“I rolled on my back, my eyes open wide. What if Wind Dancer gets tangled up in the wire with the current shocking her?  What if a deer runs through the fence and knocks it down and Wind Dancer escapes?  Maybe I should check on them.  As I sat up in bed, my German shepherd groaned loudly, as if to say, ‘Ahem, I’m trying to sleep.’

“’Exactly, Tess, I’m trying to sleep too.’  Or was I?  I had created a drama of ‘what ifs,’ and nothing had happened – everything was fine. 

“There was one thing I hadn’t done.  Lord, I’m worried about this electric fence, but there isn’t anything else I can do. Please guard and protect them.  Immediately God’s peace flooded my spirit, and within minutes I fell asleep.

“The next day I watched Wind Dancer zipping around the pasture.  As soon as she approached the electric fence, her mom blocked her way.  I pulled up my green plastic lawn chair and watched.  Every time that red mule neared the fence, the mare herded her away.

“I guess I’ll never know if God gave the mare wisdom or if it was conditioning or instinct or His angels, but I did learn that when I gave my dramatized ‘what ifs’ to God, I could finally sleep.”

Rebecca Ondov

What are you stressing about today?  Is something keeping you awake at night?  I have a long list at the moment – moving into a new home – finding carpet that I can afford – packing up everything and getting the town house ready to rent – will I be able to make both payments? – our Banquet is tomorrow night and we’re madly dashing about trying to get ready – the list goes on and on.  I know I have to put my head on the pillow tonight and trust God to work it all out – in His way and in His time.  And ready or not the Banquet will happen – I will get moved – and life will settle back down.  One day at a time – sometimes one moment at a time – trusting God to walk with me through all of life’s challenges!


__________________________

Sharon Pearce, Director
Silent Voices International

No comments:

Post a Comment